Monday, May 23, 2011

"Today," Billy Collins

If ever there were a spring day so perfect,
so uplifted by a warm intermittent breeze

that it made you want to throw
open all the windows in the house

and unlatch the door to the canary's cage,
indeed, rip the little door from its jamb,

a day when the cool brick paths
and the garden bursting with peonies

seemed so etched in sunlight
that you felt like taking

a hammer to the glass paperweight
on the living room end table,

releasing the inhabitants
from their snow-covered cottage

so they could walk out,
holding hands and squinting

into this larger dome of blue and white,
well, today is just that kind of day.

6 comments:

  1. This poem is kind of fun. But in line 3, the word "throw" seems like the excitement of summer is filled with excitement.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with "jas" it brings an excitement of how summer is. It also paints a vivid picture.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know exactly the feeling when the poet is talking about that summer day that "[makes] you want to throw open all the windows in the house." For me, I love opening all the windows in my car and driving with the summer breeze rushing around me. While I don't have a canary, as in the poem, I do have three dogs which I love to set loose on a nice summer day. I absolutely love how the summer day is compared to a snow globe at the end. It's like the whole world is some sort of summer snow globe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My take on this poem is that its advice is to release all of ones troubles built up inside them. This assumption is obviously not directly stated, but the season of spring is sort of like a new beginning when flowers bloom and new life emerges. This connection with "unlatching the canary's cage" and letting it out signifies the release of all previous burdens. The same feeling is felt by "releasing all the inhabitants" from inside the paper weight.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love how this poem expresses the simple joys in life. Like it is just explaining how its a beautiful day outside and you wanna do is open the windows! I love those kind of days!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with Erin, the author doesn't talk about anything very deep, but he talks about the little bits of happiness in life. Even the title of this poem describes how he tries to life day by day instead of worrying about the future or the past. I like the line about "throwing all the windows open" because it makes me think of Summer how all the windows are open because the weather is so nice out:)

    ReplyDelete