Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Eric's poem: "Ishtar" - Unknown, 4000 B.C.

(translated from the Babylonian Cuneiform by Lewis Spence)

The unconsecrated foe entered my courts,
placed his unwashed hands upon me,
and caused me to tremble.
Putting forth his hand
He smote me with fear.

He tore away my robe
and clothed his wife therein;
he stripped off my jewels
and placed them upon his daughter.

Like a quivering dove upon a beam
I sat.
Like a fleeing bird from my crranny
swiftly I passed

from my temple.
Like a bird
they caused me to fly.

4 comments:

  1. This poem reminds me of death. From the lines "placed his hands upon me...caused me to tremble...smote me with fear". I believe from this death took Ishtar and he just took it. It is very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with bloggeret16. It does sound like he is talking about death. Like maybe the lines "Like a bird, they caused me to fly." it might be talking about how after he died, he flew up like a bird, to heaven. This poem is pretty cool, it is really old, but to me, it doesn't sound that old. Good job picking it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with the other posts, i also think this is about death. The poem is describing how this person is getting so abused like "putting forth his hand and smote me with fear." I also think this poem is really cool because it is so old and its cool that we can abtain things from so long ago

    ReplyDelete
  4. This poem is quite interesting. The first stanza of the poem gives me the feeling that this individual is being violated of his basic rights. It seems as if he is losing everything he has worked hard for in his life. A perfect example of this is shown in the line "he stripped off my jewels-and placed them upon his daughter". This invader seems to just come in and take what he wants. The one being violated seems so defenseless. The last half of the poem makes the think that the man was so traumatized that he was severely depressed. This might have lead him to the "fly" to heaven.

    ReplyDelete