Thursday, April 14, 2011

"Spring," Mary Oliver


I lift my face to the pale flowers

of the rain. They’re soft as linen,

clean as holy water. Meanwhile

my dog runs off, noses down packed leaves

into damp, mysterious tunnels.

He says the smells are rising now

stiff and lively; he says the beasts

are waking up now full of oil,

sleep sweat, tag-ends of dreams. The rain

rubs its shining hands all over me.

My dog returns and barks fiercely, he says

each secret body is the richest advisor,

deep in the black earth such fuming

nuggets of joy!

1 comment:

  1. This poem is somewhat confusing, I'm not really sure what its talking about. There seems to be a conflict, is the poem talking about something good or something bad? However, I really enjoy the line "The rain rubs its shining hands all over me". This really speaks out and is one of the best personifications I have ever heard.

    ReplyDelete