Wednesday, April 20, 2011

"Bright Star," by John Keats

Bright star, would I were stedfast as thou art---
Not in lone splendour hung aloft the night
And watching, with eternal lids apart,
Like nature's patient, sleepless Eremite,
The moving waters at their priestlike task
Of pure ablution round earth's human shores,
Or gazing on the new soft-fallen mask
Of snow upon the mountains and the moors---
No---yet still stedfast, still unchangeable,
Pillowed upon my fair love's ripening breast,
To feel for ever its soft fall and swell,
Awake for ever in a sweet unrest,
Still, still to hear her tender-taken breath,
And so live ever---or else swoon in death.

3 comments:

  1. John Keats is one of my all time favs.This poem just adds to the list of reasons why. The meaning is just so deep.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't really get this poem, it has a lot of words I don't know, which is probably why. But I enjoyed the line that said "No-- yet still steadfast still unchangeable, Pillowed upon my fair love's ripening breast" I think the description is very well done. It shows the tender love he has for this woman (I think...)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The first thing I noticed about this poem was its general ABAB rhyme scheme, which really comes together to make this poem a fun read. I really like the line "Still, still to hear her tender-taken breath, And so live ever---or else swoon in death," because it really brings together the concept of life. That and I enjoy the word swoon.

    ReplyDelete