Wednesday, April 27, 2011

“A Friend,” Karley Dobis

A friend that loved everyone,

And always truly cared,

A friend that I could talk to,

And would always be there.

A friend that would help me,

When I was bound to drown,

A friend that would lift me,

Straight up off the ground.

A friend that I loved so much,

I cried and sobbed and tiered,

A friend who meant the world to me,

And is no longer here.

A friend that was the coolest pet,

And an even better bud,

Ever since my friends been gone,

Life has been a dud.

A friend that had diabetes,

But couldn’t be treated

A friend that had to be put down,

To heaven she was greeted.

A friend that deserved to live,

And to be treated for,

A friend that I wish was here,

And I’d do anything to see once more.

I loved her more than anything,

And now I truly know,

That even when life gets rough,

Pets can make it so-so.

She taught me how laugh,

And that it’s okay to cry,

I’m so sorry she had to go,

It wasn’t her turn to die.

6 comments:

  1. This is a really great poem Karley! I loved the rhyming scheme, I feel like it added a childish theme to the poem, making it even more devastating that your beloved pet died. I'm sorry that your dog died, I would be pretty upset if mine died too, but congrats on making a wonderful poem that unleashes your sadness and establishes closure with your dear friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The poem was really good Karley has a talent for poetry! This poem was really touching. The rhyme scheme was really good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This poem is depressing but good. I like how the dog teaches the kid how to laugh. I have a dog and I'd be heart-broken if he died.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this poem! The end was really sad:( but it's true... pets are always there, always happy, and don't talk. They're perfect!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's neat that Karley wrote this poem. I like how in the beginning she refers to her dog as a friend. That's the way it should be, I guess. But that also makes it more sad that the dog died then because they were so close. I liked the end though, in a weird way. Its moving. "It wasn't her turn to die." That's a strong line. It doesn't ever seem like its someones "turn" to go, does it?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! Karley did a great job. I feel like everyone has atleast one friend they think of when reading this poem and I sure did.

    ReplyDelete